Skip to content

Gas odor baffles city residents

Levelland firefighters responded to a rash of gas calls Tuesday and Wednesday in the city.

In all but two cases, no gas leaks were found in homes, said Fire Chief Bill Durham.

Firefighters using gas monitors found no leaks in 16 homes or apartments that they inspected.

They received a call Tuesday morning from Atmos Energy asking for assistance in clearing the Titan Lansing building on Austin Street. Carbon monoxide was found in the building.

Firefighters responded to calls both days at homes on North U.S. Highway 385, avenues D and M, Country Club Lane, Mustang Drive, Poplar Street, 11th Street, Tech Drive and Michael Street.

Firefighters also got a call Tuesday afternoon about the odor of gas in Levelland City Hall. They tested the air and found it clear for gas.

Durham said he was unsure what caused the smell. He noted that a dense fog hung over the city Tuesday morning.

Leave a Comment