Skip to content

Howard Elbert Ragland

Howard Elbert Ragland, 80, of Austin, formerly of Levelland, passed away March 28, 2020.

7 Comments

1. Joy Beth Wright Kolmeier on July 21, 2020 at 5:57 am

Miss you, Love you always! You taught me so much, you are always in my heart.

• Yousef on December 5, 2020 at 4:26 pm

Does anyone know where he was buried please I would love to vist him and say a prayer for him

• Beth Wright Kolmeier on January 7, 2022 at 3:07 pm

He was cremated.

2. Ben jenkins on November 30, 2020 at 8:24 pm

I’ve been checking on Howard every Thanksgiving and I went to check on him this year and he wasn’t there I just found out hurts 💔 he was a good man and he helped a lot of people that were down and out, he gave me several reel to reel tapes, im not sure what is on them he just wanted me to keep them for him he said it was because he would forget and he knew I would keep them safe now Im not sure what to do with them l don’t have a reel to reel to play them not sure what he intended for me to do with them, he was in a band called the sparkles way back in the 60s he told me great stories of rock n roll, he was my friend and I’m going to miss him

• Mike House on November 22, 2021 at 9:37 am

Those tapes may have been from his Beatles Away with Words Show. You really need to see what is on them.

• Jim Green on April 13, 2022 at 10:15 am

Ben:
      I grew up in Levelland and Brownfield, TX. I knew Howard from connections to west Texas rock ‘n roll bands. I was in a band from Brownfield, The Emeralds, 1958-1964. Howard always had a great deal of energy for promoting bands. I was managing a band from Brownfield, The Avantis, in 1966. Howard hired me and the band for bookings he made in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming as The Tracers band in 1966. My older sister, Diane, was friends with Howard and his older sister, Betty. I have a reel to reel recorder/player if you are still interested in revealing the content of the tapes he left you.
      Jim Green

3. Mike House on November 22, 2021 at 9:44 am

A second father to me, tucked me under his wing when I wan 19. He came to see me a month before he passed, I’m 60 now. He taught me so much and was always there if you needed him. I worked for him many years all over the country and always gave him 100%, it was easy, Howard would give you 150% back. More than a boss, he was a friend , family and mentor. I miss you Rags, tell Carlton I said hello. Love you man.